After my friend Matt proposed stealing the idea of Justin Halpern and writing a facebook feed entitled, 'shit Sophie says,' I decided to start this blog. If you're interested in reading it, in finding out about the Chinese culture (at least that of it seen through the eyes of me) and the adventures I feel sure with ensue, then great! But mainly this is a way for me to keep a tab on the biggest challenge of my time living abroad (as I go into my third year outside of the homeland)...Chinese assimilation. I have also found it increasingly interesting to observe the similarities between the Czech and Chinese cultures and am determined to put these to paper.
I love our crazy world and the different cultures that make it colourful. Having said that, there are certain things that drive me to the point of applying Disney point to temple with one hand, grabbing my red sparkling shoes with the other: a quick click of the heels and 'please send me back to God's land!' ;-) Nonetheless, culture shock comes in many shapes and forms and for me, living abroad is the most refreshing, exciting and compelling way to rumpaachump through life. In fact, the culture shock that I felt when returning to England after spending time alone in the mountains of Sri Lanka was far more pertinent than anything I had experienced while abroad. Sometimes you see your country more fairly when you have spent some time away from it...
I will attempt to update this blog with the things I see and do and hear, or when there's no one around to humour me and I just fancy a bit of word scrabble. I hope there's something worth taking from it (and that at least one person takes the time to read it)!!
YAWN!!
No comments:
Post a Comment